Re: Underline vs. bottom border

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses! The video was particularly helpful, as I didn’t know you could use the new underline styling options to offset or lower the line a smidge as well as adjust thickness, etc..

I really appreciate the quick replies and Patrick’s testing of the border option as well as Michellanne noting it could have issues with text wrapping or on longer links.

So glad I checked with you all and am thankful to be part of this group! Thanks again -amy

From: Marc Haunschild <haunschild@mhis.onmicrosoft.de>
Date: Monday, January 4, 2021 at 11:40 AM
To: Pearson, Amy <apearson@apa.org>, WAI Interest Group discussion list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Underline vs. bottom border
Hi Amy.

I also think like the others, that there are no or minor ally issues with border-bottom, but: it’s really ugly in comparison to underline. While I think you are looking for a more beautiful solution. Maybe you/ your developers haven’t heard about the new possibilities of underine-styling yet?!?

Here is a video from mozilla about the possibilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZS-7RX_c7g<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZS-7RX_c7g__;!!HgxT5Xd5qx1T!HZxz_2i52VUvj4Ecvvf0QL0ysOiMQ9BbKe9K0qjRvWla0GekffiMYUGHBTEX$>. Especially text-decoration-color already has pretty good browser support.

In the sense of progressive enhancement I would go for this native solution instead of a hack like border-bottom, outline, background-gradient acrobatics or whatever…

Marc