RE: Is it time for AI with Accessibility?

Apple has been working on screen component detection (https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/03/ios-engineer-details-apples-approach-to-improving-accessibility-with-ios-14/) and some accessibility vendors are also doing the same.  While many of us have not shared our own research and efforts on this topic publicly - some companies like overlay vendors are publicly claiming to be using the technology https://accessibe.com/product/artificial-intelligence.  I can't speak for the validity of these public claims.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles 'chaals' (McCathie) Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru>
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 5:05 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is it time for AI with Accessibility?

On Tue, 08 Dec 2020 07:20:48 +1100, Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am interested in any research in this direction. Anybody know about
> anything like this in progress?

Hello Wayne, all.

I went to a presentation in New Zealand in the early 2000s, at the invitation of Graham Oliver, on a project that had been running for quite some years (if I recall correctly, since the early 90s) to do this.

I no longer recall enough to easily find it (and I have looked for it before without success).

The basic idea was to use machine learning systems to look at the interface of a user's computer, and provide a personalised approach to understanding the components. Initially the system used a very expensive high-powered computer to read the interface of a standard desktop PC, but as increasing power became available, it was slowly morphing toward software running directly on the machine.

I also recall that a large part of the explanation about automatic visual recognition used jet fighter planes as the example object to follow.

In my mind the project may have been associated with Stanford University, and it may have been called Eureka, although that is widely used as a name, so not a very helpful search term :(

If this rings a bell with anyone I would love to find more pointers to the work.

Cheers

Chaals