Re: Is it time for AI with Accessibility?

Hi Wayne,
when you say: "... Maybe what we need is an AI approach. What if we analyze
the image of web pages as blocks of content ..."
who is the "we" that is analyzing the image?  the AI?  that is the approach
that IBM AI Accessibility research has taken, and filed a few pattens.

and when you say:
"... While AI might be too slow for live pages it would certainly be useful
...This would eliminate the need for assistive technology to have internal
knowledge of the page structure, scripts and style..."
Although currently true that AI might be too slow at browser-render-to-user
time, its not too slow for designer & developers using AI infused tools.
AT might not need as much knowledge of the page structure, but AI and the
authoring and repair tools would still need this information to prevent,
auto correct, or prompt for designer & developer confirmation.

I think a combination of AI infused browser designer/developer tools with
coordination by AT is the best approach.  Someone always seem to be missing
from the table, usually the browser, but often the AT.  And until recently,
508 and similar regulations have provisions for the authoring tools, but
still none to very little on the browser developers themselves.

Remember how long it took before the zoom magnification was built in?

___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
See the new IBM Equal Access toolkit and accessibility checker at
www.ibm.com/able
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Accessibility Executive
IBM Accessibility