Re: Help please with tagging acronyms for screenreaders

From: Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 08:36:34 +0000
To: Jenny Norman <Jenny@thisisfrisson.co.uk>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On 10/11/2020 14:55, Jenny Norman wrote:
> I’m looking for *how to correctly tag acronyms so that they are read out
> as single letters by a screen reader*, rather than read out in full e.g.
> WHO UN USA etc.

The best thing to do is nothing. Screen readers use the same heuristics
as humans do to determine how to speak acronyms - and it works.

If the acronym can be spoken like a word (NATO or WHO for example) it
generally will be. If it cannot (like USA or HMRC for example) it won't.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there are just too many
variables for you to be able to make a screen reader do anything along
these lines. More on this here:
https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2017/02/08/advice-for-creating-content-that-works-well-with-screen-readers/

So your best bet is to write your content and the markup that supports
it in a way that supports good grammar and leave it at that.

Léonie.

--
Director @TetraLogical
https://tetralogical.com