Re: Query regarding digital maps in relation to Web Accessibility Regulations 2018

Hi Rowena,

A map with "wayfinding" sounds like a map "intended for navigational use",
so you are correct that the map's information must be accessible in public
sector websites and mobile apps in the UK and EU. Where it says "essential
information" from the map, I take that to mean simply any information that
is not pure decoration <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-pure-decoration>.

> exempt subject to suitable alternative provision

It's best to make things directly accessible, but the standards do allow
accessible alternatives for any content or function (not just mapping). Don't
say the content is "exempt". Instead say (for example): the *specified map*
meets *WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard* through a *link to standalone document with a
text version of the map information and wayfinding directions*. The
document is a "conforming alternate version" of the map.

I imagine HTML would provide a better experience for less effort than a PDF.

Cheers,
Mitchell

Mitchell Evan, CPWA
linkedin.com/in/mitchellrevan <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitchellrevan>