Re: Reflow persona "What's New WCAG 2.1"

> VIP’s reliance on tags means that is limited in situations where documents are not tagged.

Definitely true. That said we are observing a trend towards automatically tagging all PDF at the point of creation. This is what Apple now does with their productivity suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) and it increasingly seems like a reasonable ask of all vendors. Just because it’s possible to make a lousy PDF isn’t an excuse to do so.

>    It also essentially means that it is creating a new view from the tagged content and you lose the other visual aspects on the page – so when tags are available and you are only reading content it’s good – although you lose some visual aspects such as headers & footers, lines, colors and other visual artifacts that may be helpful clues.

As I understand it VIP PDF is targeting users / cases where simplified presentation is desirable. Other vendors (e.g. ZoomText) prefer to integrate Tagged PDF awareness into a “classical” view of PDF, e.g., call-outs, highlighting, zoom magnification, etc… driven by tagged PDF.

> Also you lose any visual styles that may have been used that may not be marked up.  Most of the documents I encounter are not fully tagged or tagged with structures who semantics can be differentiated in VIP and thus it feels like I am seeing an alternative view of the document and wonder if there might be something I am missing.

Certainly, it’s an alternative view of the page. It’s similar to the way in which HTML + ARIA without CSS can be said to be missing a lot of clues… but that’s the sort of “view” of a webpage that a screen-reader provides.

Duff.