Re: WCAG2.1 and keyboard navigation

All active and inactive elements must be in logical navigation order, only
active elements must be in TAB order. For example, if the text and images
on the page are not coded in the same order as they are visually, I may not
be able to access the information in the logical navigation order while
using a screen reader. I have seen this when something (the main menu, a
popup dialog) is coded into the bottom of the page, but using CSS it
visually appears somewhere else on the page. This forces screen reader
users to navigate to the bottom of the page to access the information
visually at the top.

Something else to think about, if all elements are forced into the TAB
order, a keyboard user would never know which elements are supposed to be
active (clickable) and which are basic text, images, etc. Therefore,
putting non-interactive elements into the TAB order creates a perceived
"broken" or "inaccessible" link.