Re: Question about proper use of screen readers in 508 testing

Well, I’ve learned a lot from this thread. Thank you all. I clearly have
some things to learn about accessibility.

I had not heard of NVDA before. My own team uses JAWS because this is the
best tool we knew about. I have no problem with fixing usability problems
(I want to!); I just don’t want them rated as critical and putting my
schedule at risk when they’re not critical.

I had not heard of such an auditory processing condition before. I don’t
want our testers logging bugs because JAWS is supposed to show some widget
in its list of form fields, regardless of actual accessibility. It seems
trivial and makes me wonder what we’re missing. But I also didn’t know that
expand/collapse widgets that don’t have the role of “button” or “link” are
WCAG non-conformances.

For me, it all just underscores the need to understand the WCAG standards
and the bewildering variety of circumstances that users face. The hard part
will be trying to get the certain people to look up from the tool and see
the bigger picture. Some here take a hard line on “button button” because
it was found as part of 508 testing, and 508 compliance is a contractual
obligation, so that’s that. I disagree about that, but I don’t really have
the authority when it comes to accessibility; they do.

Mike