From: Matthew Kreiling <kreiling@gmail.com>
Sent: 23 July 2020 18:38
To: w3c WAI List <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: When is something a web app and when is it synchronized media

I have been working to assess and find a process for creating accessible eLearning modules using Articulate Storyline 360.

The content of the "slides" within the player is coded as a bunch of svg images, including the text. They are hidden using aria-hidden, but screen readers are provided with a hidden text that receives focus programmatically when the user uses the arrow keys to navigate.

Visually, focus is indicated appropriately and synchronized with the screen reader.

I hate it as a developer, but as an assessor of WCAG compliance, I am unsure how to treat the content within the player. Sometimes it is static, sometimes it is animations accompanied by audio with optional closed captions, and sometimes there are buttons to interact with it.

Do I treat the content within the player as synchronized media?

Matthew Kreiling

We're all in it together.

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."
—Emily Dickinson