From: Guy Hickling <guy.hickling@gmail.com>
Sent: 15 July 2020 21:15
To: WAI Interest Group discussion list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Directives, policies, laws, and regulations that reference WCAG 2.1 I

In the UK we have an exact equivalent of the ADA, it's the Equality Act 2010. Like the ADA it did not initially mention websites, but that was solved early on by associated regulations that specified that websites were also covered. Also like the ADA there is no financial penalty specified for non-compliance. I think that is why so few cases have been started.

Two cases went to court many years ago, where the RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind) supported the plaintiffs. Private settlements, including remediation of the websites, were obtained on both occasions. (On the third occasion the defendant company, an airline, went bust before the case got to court.)

I think what we need here is for lawyers to take the initiative in the same way that lawyers have in the US. We have a thriving "No win no fee" legal industry in the UK, but they concentrate at the moment on accident claims. If they were to interest themselves in website accessibility claims under the Equality Act, we would have an immediate improvement in the websites of private companies. It is a sad fact but true, that only the threat of immediate litigation and/or penalties is sufficient to force businesses to do the right thing in any aspect of life.