From: Guy Hickling <guy.hickling@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 5:48 PM
To: WAI Interest Group discussion list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Directives, policies, laws, and regulations that reference WCAG 2.1

The one thing that stands out when comparing most countries, is that while governments happily accept a requirement to comply with the WCAG in their own websites and services, few seem to realise the need to impose a similar requirement on businesses and other organisations and charities.

We may need an accessible website if we are claiming money from the government, but if like the majority we already have the money, we need our banks to have accessible websites. If a government is providing soup kitchens for the homeless that's great, but the rest of us need to buy our groceries - and during the pandemic lockdowns that has usually meant doing it online. Having an  accessible government website is not much use if we can't buy our food due to non-compliant grocery websites! Most business these days must be done online.

So we need all governments to pass legislation for businesses similar to the law they themselves accept, and not just leave disabled people to have to take pot luck with companies that have no interest in them.

I think this is the next big issue for the W3C to tackle in this new decade - how to persuade lawmakers to complete the job they have started!