Re: My Retirement Letter

On 14/07/2020 02:47, Wayne Dick wrote:

> I am retired from AG. I’m 72 and I am gardening, teaching my
> grandchildren on Zoom and studying mathematics. It’s fun, and I strongly
> recommend giving yourself time to enjoy your time on earth.

Enjoy, Wayne. I've found our various conversations/arguments sometimes
challenging, but always stimulating and with a view to improve things.

[...]

> Sadly, the WG often questions the user need when the current technology
> or limits of the guidelines cannot slove the problem.

I partly concur here. Another related aspect I often see: when a gap or
unintended flaw/misinterpretation of the normative wordings is
identified, the immediate reaction I usually see is a "no, the SC is
perfectly fine as it is" round of apologism. After some lengthy back and
forth, it often then turns into a "ok, there might be a gap, but how bad
is it? It's too late to change it now / it's too much of an edge case /
who'd do that anyway?" ... which is a bit frustrating when we're trying
to build a reasonably solid set of guidelines.

Anyway, I'll stop piggy-backing here to get my own rant in :)

Have a good one, Wayne!

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux