Re: Applicability of few WCAG 2.1 SC’s for Native mobile apps:

Hi Ramakrishnan,

In general I like Jonathan's suggestion about EN 301 549 Annex C, but in
this case it doesn't add any hints for your specific questions. For
example, EN 301 549 Annex C clause C.11.1.3.5.1 offers only this test
procedure: "Check that the software does not fail WCAG 2.1 Success
Criterion 1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose." We end up returning to WCAG itself
for all three of your specific questions.

For WCAG 1.3.4 Identify Input Purpose, the first thing to ask is whether
the native software platform has "support for identifying the expected
meaning for form input data." In my experience no native software platforms
offer such support, so 1.3.5 always passes for native software. (I wonder,
are any developers of operating systems and native software technologies
working on adding this support?)

WCAG 1.4.12 Text Spacing is limited to "content implemented using markup
languages that support the [enumerated] text style properties". The WCAG
"Understanding" doc and further discussion in Github issue 884
<https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/884> address the question of author
responsibility vs. user responsibility. I conclude that 1.4.12 gets a
technical pass in this common scenario: (1) the native software contains a
web view, implemented using a markup language; and (2) the software, acting
as a user agent, does not give users a mechanism to adjust the text style
properties.

For WCAG 1.4.10 Reflow, I agree with Marc Haunschild's evaluation technique
for native apps on a phone. However, the evaluation technique is less clear
for a tablet app (and for desktop native apps for that matter). Here again
I look to the Understanding doc and relevant Github issues
<https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues?q=is%3Aissue+1.4.10>.

Mitchell Evan
+1 (510) 375-6104
mtchllvn@gmail.com