RE: how to code strikethroughs for a screen reader [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Char,

For example:
<del>old text</del>
<ins>New text</ins>

Will be displayed visually as

old text
New text
Using style

In NVDA, Settings > Document Formatting > Font Attributes property helps to announce strikethrough.
In desktop mode both NVDA and JAWS,  Insert + F (or relevant modifier key + F) announces the formatting information of the current text in both HTML and other word processors.

Below is the NVDA screen reader speech:

·       Deleted strikethrough  not underlined old text

·       Inserted no strikethrough  underlined New text

·       strikethrough  not underlined Using style

text-decoration:line-through is a CSS property and does not carry any semantic meaning  as inserted or deleted for screen readers.

To answer your question on conveying the intent, it depends on the context.
For example,

·       If it’s the price information, “Was $40 and save $20” is easier to understand than using strike through.

·       For a document or consultation review updates,  to convey that the text has changed, you can add a document modification legend similar to the one below.

For screen reader:
deleted indicates text removed.
inserted indicates updated text.

I recommend to try with different screen readers how the legend and the strike through works in different browser, AT combinations.

For visual user (and hide it using aria-hidden):
The red shaded striked-through mark-up  indicates deleted text, the green shaded mark-up with dashed underline indicates inserted text.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Herin