Re: Questions: Android native app testing

On 10/02/2020 19:39, Sailesh Panchang wrote:

> 2. Sometimes  that an element is a heading or a button is conveyed via
> android:contentDescription. As a result the item is not discoverable /
> navigable using a selection via TalkBack's local context setting. This
> in effect impairs the ability to use a documented accessibility
> feature so is an accessibility failure directly  transgressing a
> requirement for software accessibility IMO. However, "Don't include
> the type of UI element in the content description" is merely noted as
> a best practice at
> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/accessibility/apps.html.

For headings at least, I believe this was an old workaround for the time
when it was simply not possible to actually convey that something was a
heading any other way in native Android, and accessibility-minded devs
adopted this as the least bad thing.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux