Re: WCAG2.1 and keyboard navigation

On 21/01/2020 12:05, Ginger Claassen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I have a question regarding keyboard navigation and WCAG2.1. We had a
> discussion today with one colleague who is blind and one who is visually
> impaired (screen magnifier user).
>
> What exactly has to be in keyboard navigation - especially in a pop-up
> dialogue. I, as a screen reader user, am of the opinion that only
> interaction elements have to be keyboard navigateable and my colleague
> is of the opinion that also the text in a dialogue box as well as text
> in general has to be in the tab-order.

Generally, only interactive elements should be tab-focusable. Adding
non-interactive elements into the tab order (presumably by forcing
tabindex="0") makes things unnecessarily tedious for keyboard users
(both with and without screen readers).

I often see authors forcing static content to be focusable with a
mistaken view of making it "accessible to screen reader users". These
developers generally don't understand that SR users already have much
more efficient ways (e.g. using cursor/reading keys etc) to go over
static content.

> Looking in the WCAG2.1 we were not sure how to interpret it: At one
> point it says all elements have to be in tab-order and a bit further
> down it says only interaction elements have to be in tab-order.

Not quite sure which bits you're referring to. But in general, I believe
WCAG does not necessarily define what should/shouldn't happen with
static content, i.e. whether it's ok to make it focusable (even though
it's non-interactive) or not.

> Thus, is there a clear rule for this, is this rather weak and therefore
> depends (both would be a pass) or is there a destinction missing between
> SR and SM users?

I assume screen magnifier users may find it more convenient if even
static content receives TAB focus, as it will move/center their view
automatically on it. However, while this may work for them, it will be
unnecessarily disruptive to keyboard / keyboard+SR users, I'd say.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux