RE: Testing guidelines for the resizing of text

Thank you for the response.

-Angela

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 1:40 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Testing guidelines for the resizing of text

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

On 14/01/2020 16:30, Savage, Angela (ITS) wrote:

 > WCAG does not have clear testing guidelines for the resizing of text in a browser.

Note that neither the main spec/normative success criteria, nor the informative understanding documents, usually don't include testing guidelines. Techniques (also non-normative/informative) generally do though (see for instance
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/general/G142)

>   * When testing the resizing of text should I Zoom only or should I
>       increase text size in browsers too?

The requirement is that there's at least one way for the user to resize the text to 200% without loss of content/functionality. either one of those tests works. I usually test using browser zoom, as that's the most common way browsers these days cater to users. If that fails, then I try
- in browsers that still allow it - pure text resizing.

>   * If I resize text in a browser what condition or conditions should
>     apply to the webpage when using Zoom, if any ?

Not sure what you mean by "conditions". If you mean "what's the end result", then it's that text can be resized to 200% without loss of content or functionality...

>   * The verbiage “resize” and “zoom” are used interchangeably. Is there
>     a distinction between the two words?
>       o 1.4.4 suggests that when the verbiage “zoom” is used, then a
>         user agent is being used to zoom in on text. Not necessarily,
>         resize text.

Resizing text would also be done via a user agent, so there's really no distinction here.
Zooming results in the text visually resizing. There are also other ways in which users can resize text (e.g. in browsers that still allow text to be sized independently from the rest of the page). But either method is fine, it's the end result (that users CAN/aren't prevented from resizing text) that matters. At least one mechanism needs to be available. If all else fails, a site can even provide its own text sizing buttons/functionality (rather than relying on user agent zoom/text resizing capabilities).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=41b6e4fb-1d90d04f-41b41dce-000babd9fe9f-1b277de68d4a7625&q=1&e=2d225ea1-4dcd-488d-968d-7941b409d9bd&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.splintered.co.uk%2F | https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=5084f45e-0ca2c0ea-50860d6b-000babd9fe9f-3080694df4ce6862&q=1&e=2d225ea1-4dcd-488d-968d-7941b409d9bd&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fpatrickhlauke

https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux