Re: Suggestion for WCAG 2.2: disabling styles

On 12/05/2020 09:25, Hilera González José Ramón wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The success criterion 1.4.10 Reflow establishes: Content can be
> presented without loss of information or functionality, and without
> requiring scrolling in two dimensions for: vertical scrolling content at
> a width equivalent to 320 CSS pixels
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-css-pixels>; horizontal scrolling
> content at a height equivalent to 256 CSS pixels
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-css-pixels>.
>
> Why not also include in this criterion or in a new one that content can
> be presented without loss of information or functionality disabling all
> styles?

My personal take on this would be:

For static web content, I would say that most issues related to
disabling styles / not relying on styles should already be covered by
existing success criteria like 1.1.1, 1.3.1, 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.4.1 (and
many others).

However, for dynamic web content (involving custom widgets, scripting,
dynamic components like disclosure widgets or modal dialogs), it's now
mostly unrealistic to expect/demand that they work without any
styling/CSS. even just the basic use of display:none is essential for
many dynamic elements to work correctly / be correctly hidden from all
users and then revealed both visually and in the accessibility tree.

Further, CSS is generally part of the technologies that modern sites
rely on. So even IF there was an SC that mandated that sites work
without any styling, it would likely need to be exempted/excluded by
most sites if they included CSS in their list of technologies that are
relied on upon https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-relied-upon.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux