Re: Footnotes and Tooltips

Jeanna,
I owe you an apology because I left out context (my poor excuse is that I
should never respond via mobile as my mind seems to autopilot into
abbreviating my thoughts and leaving out extras, i'm on my laptop now).

By any chance is there a rough mock-up of the tooltip that you could share?
Often times when asked whether something is accessible or not, my response
is 'it depends' because context is needed.

The issue with our component was that it covered parts of what the user was
interacting with. I believe that's a key thing. The vendor's comment was
that "it obscures its visibility."

The items this comment was in reference to, were links with hovers. Our
design blocked users from reading the entire link text because the hover
overlapped it when the user tabbed to it. One example of how this is an
issue is that this may be troublesome for screen-magnification users who
navigate content a portion at a time. People may not have a full view of
the screen. Another item we had was a dropdown with the label on the
bottom, again the issue being that the dropdown covered the label when it
opened.

So this is where I feel the question of whether what we're designing forces
disabled users to work to benefit abled users comes in. It might sound a
bit harsh but it's more a question I ask myself and I think we humans tend
to be harder on ourselves.

I feel for screen readers it's easier to solve. Visually, there are some
options like making what triggers the tooltip a header in the text that
appears to help reinforce what that was related to when the user opens it
and directing designers to make sure that the important parts aren't
covered and still look related at the same time.

Hope this helps!
Caroline