Re: Footnotes and Tooltips

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

With the tooltip/hover on footnotes, we find it does help provide a better user experience for the researchers who use our website (We actually got positive feedback from our audience when we added the feature—usually we only hear the bad stuff). When the tooltip does appear, it does cover up some text on the page, but once you hover away, that text is viewable again.  Is this behavior considered inaccessible?

If a user were still able to ‘click’ the footnote number, and jump down to where the footnotes are listed to see the full citation (and then also jump back up), is that considered accessible?  What if we still had the hover ability mentioned above, but knew that for some users the hover/tooltip would not be read by their screen reader, so the user would have to click/jump down to the full citation — is that still considered accessible?

The more I dig into this, the more I’m thinking we really can’t have accessible tooltips in this situation. I’m having a hard time finding a design/code pattern that does both (Footnotes at the bottom of a page, and accessible hover ability for references in the content).

Sean - when you have a minute, can you help me track down the examples from Smashing - I just searched their site pretty thoroughly and can’t find the content you mentioned.

Jeana Clark
jclark@veritashealth.com