From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, 11 February 2020 7:13 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Questions: Android native app testing

[External Email] This email was sent from outside the organisation – be cautious, particularly with links and attachments.

On 10/02/2020 19:39, Sailesh Panchang wrote:

> 2. Sometimes  that an element is a heading or a button is conveyed via
> android:contentDescription. As a result the item is not discoverable /
> navigable using a selection via TalkBack's local context setting. This
> in effect impairs the ability to use a documented accessibility
> feature so is an accessibility failure directly  transgressing a
> requirement for software accessibility IMO. However, "Don't include
> the type of UI element in the content description" is merely noted as
> a best practice at
> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/accessibility/apps.html.

For headings at least, I believe this was an old workaround for the time when it was simply not possible to actually convey that something was a heading any other way in native Android, and accessibility-minded devs adopted this as the least bad thing.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux