RE: HTML 5 required attribute for radio and check boxes

Add the word ‘required’ to the fieldset legend that wraps the radio buttons … if it’s a form containing multiple radio groupings and/or inputs, then a note at the top of the form indicating that everything is mandatory unless otherwise specified is sufficient

Also, I can only think of one use case for a required checkbox – those dreaded ‘I agree’ types at the end of a form or document. These can be readily eliminated by using a button whose label conveys the same meaning and allows a user to progress when activated. Checking a checkbox carries no more or less legal force than pressing a button …

From: sirisha gubba [mailto:nsfsiri2014@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 6:36 AM
To: ARIA Working Group; W3C WAI ig
Subject: HTML 5 required attribute for radio and check boxes

Hi,

Looking for input on how to implement required attribute for radio buttons and checkboxes.

Radio buttons: When a user selects one of the radio buttons the required attribute is satisfied.

I have come across the below options:

1.  Every radio button is marked up with required attribute. This confuses screen reader users.
2. Only the first radio button is marked up as required. The user might assume that only the first option is required and other options should not be selected.

Checkboxes: When all checkboxes are marked up as required, it will add extra verbosity and confusion to the screen reader users.

My opinion is to add "*" or "required" text to <legend> and not adding "required" attribute to radio buttons or checkboxes.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Siri