Re: Dark Mode best Practise

I haven’t read the Apple docs (interested in the link, though!) - but I have to work with different color schemes anyway and I implement colours in two steps:

First I have sass variables like $main-color $main-color-0, $main-color-1, $main-color-2 and so on - also some shades of greys. The zero stands for the default color, and the colours except of zero are counted from darkest variant to the brightest.

Than I write something like this:

$input-border-color: $main-color

and

$font-default-color: $main-color

This is quite some copy and paste, that has to be done there in the first implementation, but it fastens the process of assigning new colours.

If the designer is aware of this, she will give me color palettes in which each default color has a “partner” for dark mode (or other color schemes).

After changing the basic colours, the site pretty much looks like wanted. Thats why you should not use variable-names like $main-color-bright or $main-color-bright, because in the dark mode it surely will be wrong. ;-)

There are always some details, which has to be reassigned, but because of the to layers of abstraction its fast and easy to switch some things - and you can do all of this work in one place, where all the colours are defined. Works pretty well and quick for me.

Not compatible with bootstrap of course. But bootstrap sucks anyway…

Hope this is helpful for some of you…

By the way: testing is still needed - but fixing is quick and clean.

And you can reuse a lot of this code, because you will have a default text color in every project.

Marc