RE: Does resizing in one direction apply as a path-based gesture?

Hi Renato,

It looks like this criterion does not apply, merely because ‘dragging’ has been left out of scope entirely.
From the understanding document for SC 2.5.1<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/pointer-gestures.html>:

“Gestures that involve dragging in any direction are not in scope for this SC because only the start and end points matter in a dragging operation. However, such gestures do require fine motor control. Authors are encouraged to provide non-dragging methods, for instance, a drag and drop operation could also be achieved by selecting an item (with a tap or keyboard interaction) and then selecting its destination as a second step.”

However a little earlier in the same document an example is given on moving a slider on a touch screen, where it does apply because it requires an initial motion in the expected axis to engage the interaction.

In other words, if your component does not care about side to side motion at any point during the up/down gesture it seems you can lawyer your way out of this SC. However, it’s advisable to allow users to not use a gesture at all.

Cheers,
Joppe

P.S. If you try the bottom sheet component on Google Maps on Mobile you’ll notice that it does not in fact require a dragging gesture, but a single tap will open the bottom area completely. Unless we are looking at different things of course ??

From: Renato Iwashima<mailto:renatoiwa@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:36 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Does resizing in one direction apply as a path-based gesture?

Question about WCAG 2.5.1: Pointer Gestures: I have a panel that can be resized only in one axis (vertically) on Mobile via a handle. Does the resizing gestured (dragging a handle up and down to resize its container) apply to this criteria? Is it considered a path-based gesture? My component is a bottom sheet component similar to the one you see on Google Maps.