RE: Considering order: labels for checkboxes and radio buttons

Out of curiosity, how much support is there for aria-flowto? We don't use it because according to the w3, support is really spotty - is there updated information on that somewhere?

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2019 7:36 AM
To: w3c WAI List <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Considering order: labels for checkboxes and radio buttons

There are two situations to consider. If a screen reader user is navigating in "forms mode", the behaviour of your two examples will be the same because only the radio button receives focus. If they are navigating in "virtual cursor mode", both the radio button and label are read out and the behaviour may well vary between screen readers. You would need to do some tests to see if the user experience is acceptable.

In the past I have found that adding an aria-label attribute to the radio button has improved the user experience and made it more consistent even though it is redundant from a WCAG compliance perspective and arguably should not change the behaviour at all.

Also, bear in mind that you can use the aria-flowto attribute to adjust the reading order for assistive technologies. That might be a way to improve the user experience if you are not able to make the changes you want to the visual appearance.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd