From: Taliesin Smith
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2019 5:03 AM
To: Karen Lewellen; Sean Murphy (seanmmur); mark.rogers@powermapper.com; bim.egan1@gmail.com; steve.green@testpartners.co.uk
Cc: w3c WAI List
Subject: Re: Considering order: labels for checkboxes and radio buttons

Thanks Karen, Sean, Mark, Bim and Steve for your comments.

I should have been more clear. We make interactive science simulations. In our situation, we have 2 parallel experiences, a visual one and a non-visual one. The visual one does indeed always place the checkboxes and radio buttons to the left of the associated input element's label (i.e., the accessible name).

In our parallel, accessible and non-visual experience we use native HTML, sometimes enhanced with ARIA. Screen reader users access this parallel non-visual layer, and on the screen, at the same time, the visual experience is always present and updating.

Within our architecture, it is not possible to wrap form control elements inside label elements, therefore the label element has to come before or after the input element. If reading with the cursor keys, the accessible name is always read out twice, which I find is not optimal, but I do not use a screen reader out of need.

Based on the feedback (and for consistency) I think, the general case should be that the label element comes after the input element. For some reason in my last project I had them reversed, and I was unsure as to why I had done it that way. In interviews with screen reader users, I have NOT noticed any trouble with either order.

Sean, thanks for letting me know about the setting in JAWS that can change the reading order.
Steve, thanks for the tip about the "aria-flowto” attribute. I am unfamiliar with that attribute, and will look into it.

The reading order in VoiceOver for those who would like to know is: accessible name, state, then functional role. I do not not know if there is a VoiceOver setting that allows you to change the order, like in JAWS.

If the input element has a value (e.g., input type=range), the value is read our before the accessible name, and the functional (i.e., slider).

Again, thanks everyone for your comments, and if any one is interested in the parallel experience I mentioned, please see the accessibility research section of our website. The accessible science simulations we are working on can be found here: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/accessibility/prototypes

Sincerely,
Taliesin
~.~.~
Also available off-list at: