Re: Non-text contrast research

Hello all,

First off, thank you to Alastair for kindly allowing us to share our work
with the WCAG community. I personally hope that, first, the work we do can
be useful to the larger WCAG community, and second, by incorporating the
feedback we get here, we can deliver stronger and more useful research in
general. To that end, I definitely appreciate the opportunity to receive
and address questions; please forgive the delay in doing so, though, since
there’s still an internal process we have to go through.

Speaking directly to the questions above:

Regarding replicating the study with those with cognitive impairments -- I
agree this would be an interesting next step for this line of research.
I’ll begin exploring this with others internally at Google, and will share
an update here when I can. Note, however: additional observations using the
protocol from this study won’t invalidate data already collected. The
research already completed, qualitative in nature, aims to identify signals,
not explicate prevalence.

Regarding adding a control group, timing responses, concern around
confounds -- This is currently being planned. Whereas the prior qualitative
study was intended to identify signals, I’m building a quantitative study
that will allow us to control for possible confounds. There are two primary
reasons we didn’t aim for a quantitative study to begin with: first, access
to and size of the target population for this initial study meant that we
would have had to spend much more time reaching an appropriate number of
participants an appropriate number of times to be able to show significance
of effect of design variation (recalling that our participants were from
our Trusted Tester program [1], more on that below). And second, insights
generated from qualitative work allow us to identify more foundational
concerns – e.g., rather than first focusing on the impact of varying
affordance contrast on a specific outcome measure (like time to click/tap),
we are able to highlight a plethora of other design factors that impact the
identifiability and perceived interactability of components. Follow-on
experimental work, as we’re planning above, can then aim to estimate the
size of the impact of those additional attributes.

Regarding concerns that results were intended to support existing Material
guidelines (e.g., bias) -- As Alastair pointed out above, outlines or
similar affordances aren’t required in WCAG guidance for buttons [2]; three
of four buttons described in the Material spec do have an outline [3]. The
goal of this study was intentionally scoped extremely narrowly to ensure
that we could adequately identify signals, focusing only on two questions:
varying only affordance contrast, are these components (1) identifiable,
and are they (2) perceived as interactable.

Regarding concern that study participants were expert users, and Googlers
-- None of the participants were Googlers. All of the participants were
from our Trusted Tester program [1]. Testers participating in the panel
aren’t limited by technical proficiency, so there are a broad range of
prior experiences and skill sets represented. If anyone is curious about
participating, please see the form at the bottom of the accessibility
initiatives page ([4]).

In general, regarding limitations and next steps -- It’s true that while we
haven’t addressed all the research questions with this study (e.g.,
separate experimental study, mentioned above), we are aiming to expand our
understanding of the design space, and how users encounter, perceive, and
interact with our designs. There’s a difference between trying to optimize
a single product for a discrete outcome (e.g., findability, operationalized
as time to click/tap) and trying to identify an area of expression where
the design of an arbitrary product is more usable and accessible. One of
the challenges of research for a design system rather than a product is
aiming to find balance between both of those goals.

All that said, I very much appreciate the feedback, and I’m looking forward
to working alongside everyone in this community moving forward!

Thanks,

-Michael

[1] https://www.google.com/accessibility/initiatives-research/

[2] https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/non-text-contrast.html