From: Jan Hellbusch
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:46 AM
To: 'Rakesh Paladugula'; 'Nimisha Joshi'; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Okay to hide table caption?

>  What are your thoughts on visually hiding table caption on a webpage
> but keep it available for the screen reader? The reason we are exploring
this
> option is because some of our clients find table captions “visually
> unattractive.” In most cases, the surrounding content gives the user
enough
> context to understand the table's data and I was wondering if hiding it
for
> sighted users would be okay.
First of all, consider whether the table can be considered a section of the
page. If so, it will need a heading (or caption). See also sc 2.4.10.

Secondly, if the table needs a caption, then it should be for all. If it
doesn't, then you probably don't need a caption for screen readers only.

Thirdly, if some users find captions "visually unattractive", what about
the rest? Perhaps it just needs some styling to become less distracting.

Jan

--
Hellbusch Accessibility Consulting
Chemnitzer Str. 50, 44139 Dortmund