Re: Reading math symbols in Live Regions?

Thanks for your comment Jonathan.
I have not yet tested with JAWS, but both NVDA and VoiceOver do the same thing in this case.

And yes, currently we are just using the character entity. We have not yet implemented MathML, though we have done some testing to do that.

Our current use case is quite simple. We need to read out the changing value of a force in scientific notation.

To re-focus the question, why would a browser handle the content in a live region differently than in the page itself when delivering it to AT? Both areas of content are in valid content elements. Could this be corrected by the user agents?

A working group on accessible math is very good idea, especially since it is my understanding that Chrome does not support MathML, though that might be in flux. Many kids in schools use Chromebooks, and Edge is becoming a Chromium-based browser.

Taliesin