RE: Disabled form fields

The subject of this thread is ‘disabled form fields’.

Is this a question about colour contrast or the appropriate use of the disabled attribute?

In my view, the disabled attribute should never be used on a text field – only the readonly attribute.

And, conversely, the readonly attribute shouldn’t be used on radio or push buttons or select elements etc.

This at least makes the problematic user agent styling go away for inactive text fields …

With regards to disabled elements with activation behaviours, however, there is tension in my mind between:

·         Colour being the only visual conveyor of information (i.e. success criterion 1.4.1) and this exception

·         There being a blanket exception for disabled controls

These seem to me to be glitches, though I can understand that changing this requirement could be problematic both then and now.