From: Greg Gay <greggay@rogers.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:42 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Measuring Decibel Separation

Thx David,

After posting the original question, I did come across an old article by David MacDonald that essentially suggests the same strategy you've outlined. Take a sample of the background, take a sample of the background with speech in it, then compare the decibels of each sample.

http://www.eramp.com/david/audio_contrast_general_techs.htm

I happen to have ProTools available, which apparently will do the job.

https://www.avid.com/pro-toolss

Does anyone know of an open source or free tool that can be recommended for client who want to do their own audio sampling, who might not otherwise have a use for a tool like ProTools?

greg