Re: Guide for Combobox

Hi Bryan,
I changed the subject line to "Guide for Combobox" to reflect the change in topic.

We followed a combination of approaches including your the Level Access article about changes to combobox role.

Our combobox is not fully implemented yet. I can share it when it is working, but not sure when that will be.

I think the main difference from your guidance is that we used a button with a dynamic label, so the selected item is read out on focus. We have a list of “Solutes” and we want both the name of the list “Solutes” and the selected solute to be read out on focus. The read out on focus might be something like, “Solutes, pop-up button, Drink Mix, selected.”

I don’t have an interactive example handy, but I think our html code will be something like what I have below. I removed the role combobox and am just using a button, but maybe we should re-look at this approach when we are ready to for full implementation.

There are two aria-labelledby id in order to get both the name of the list and the selected item read out on focus.
 <button id="listbox5-dynamic-label <>" tabindex="0 <>" aria-haspopup="listbox <>" aria-labelledby="listbox5-static-label listbox5-dynamic-label <>">Drink Mix</button>
  <ul role="listbox <>" tabindex="-1 <>" id="listbox5 <>" aria-activedescendant="listbox5-1 <>" aria-labelledby="listbox5-static-label <>" style="list-style:none; <>">
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-1 <>" class="selected <>" aria-selected="true <>">Drink mix</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-2 <>">Cobalt (II) nitrate</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-3 <>">Cobalt Chloride</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-4 <>">Potassium dichromate</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-5 <>">Gold (III) chloride</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-6 <>">Potassium chromate</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-7 <>">Nickel (II) chloride</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-8 <>">Copper sulfate</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-9 <>">Potassium permanganate</li>
   <li role="option <>" id="listbox5-10 <>">Potassium dichromate</li>
  </ul>
Taliesin