From: Paul E Matthews <PaulE.Matthews@ato.gov.au>
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August 2018 10:46 AM
To: Vinil Peter <vinilpeter.wcag@gmail.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Bold vs Strong [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Hi Vinil (et al)

RE:  The client's internal accessibility testing team marked all the instances where <b> was used as errors and recommended to change them to <strong> so that screen readers read out the text with added emphasis.

I have been following this discussion with interest – and I’ve learnt a few things along the way – but I think we need to get back to the original issue (above).  To me, this is a clear example of an automated test (“marked *all* the instances”) that is not useful or accurate.  If your aim is to remove this error from the report, globally replacing <b> with <strong> will do it.  But is that the aim of accessibility testing?

My advice is to explain to your client that the use of <b> is *not* an error – it’s an indication that human intervention is required.  Each use should be based on an assessment of what is intended (emphasis or presentation).

·         It may be the case that most <b> tags should be <strong> tags but an automated test can’t tell you for sure.

·         It may be the case that most <strong> tags are correct (following a global change) but automated testing won’t tell you this either.

This article – http://www.karlgroves.com/2017/03/24/automated-web-accessibility-testing-tools-are-not-judges/ (or a synopsis) – may help explain the reality of accessibility assessments to your clients.

Hope this helps …

Regards
Paul E. Matthews
ATO Community User Interface Designer