Re: Bold vs Strong

My understanding has always been that b/i are for visual decoration only,
and that strong/em are for actual emphasized content.

For example, I saw a case where a web designer wanted to use a certain font
family, but didn’t like the thinness of some of the letters. So they made
those certain letters bold. I think that’s a clear case where <b> should be
used — screen reader users would find it super annoying to have those
letters announced in some way. That is purely visually decorative.

<strong> should be used when the emphasis changes the meaning of the
sentence. Take these two sentences, for example:

<strong>Mary</strong> had a little lamb. (Mary, not Tom, had the lamb.)
Mary <strong>had</strong> a little lamb. (She had it once, but she doesn’t
have it now.)

That’s the intention of this rule, but I acknowledge that in practice today
it doesn’t work. You would expect screen reading software to somehow
indicate emphasized words by default by saying them slightly louder like we
do with our voices. However, even if you did get your screen reader to do
that, there are so many misuses of strong on the internet, that it would
probably become quite annoying.

Still, my opinion is that web developers should still strive to do it
correctly in the event that someone figures out a way to make it work
correctly in the future.

Thanks,

David