RE: WCAG vialations or accessibility enhancements

Well said, Mike.

WCAG interpretations can comprise whole careers, and do.

Alan, I think we would all like and encourage headings to be used and
nested correctly.

But for technology agnostic reasons 1.3.1 has no requirement (in the
normative WCAG 2 standard language) that specifically identifies that
'headings must be nested properly'.

That was not because when WCAG 2 was being written that the WG members
didn't want to include that notion, but we were trying to move away from
the HTML technology-specific language in WCAG 1. Not an excuse, it is just
the landscape at the time.

Additionally, requiring nested headings *can* become a *requirement* of any
organization, if they so chose.

In a court of law though, the chances of winning a lawsuit against a
website based on headings not being nested properly, per WCAG 2
conformance, might be hard to prove.

Should developers use nested headings to improve accessibility? Can you use
1.3.1 as a basis of discussion to convince your developers to nest
headings? Absolutely!