RE: Assistive Technology Detection

Phil and all,

I believe the new section 508 has some ATAG in it, but I suspect it doesn't go as far as including the frameworks and other tools used in building sites. I haven't look at that part of the section 508 refresh as yet. All the laws and people who are pushing for change to international disability laws only focus on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. The merge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, ATAG and ARIA plus any other accessibility standards into one will help with any future changes to Laws. As laws should focus upon the standards and evolve with changes. Even at their slow pace.

Is there any education being promoted by W3C by the reach-out groups for  ATAG? Asking as I don't know.

Good to see people are working on Boot Strap. DoJo is another framework which includes accessibility. The sites I have seen built on it (cannot share them) don't seem to have good support. This could be due to education of the developer in the area of accessibility or issues in the framework. I do not know.

There are far more then the one's I have mention above which don't have any accessibility to very limited. Ruby Rails, NodeJS, ETC. The real challenge I think is how do you keep across all these frameworks and ensure they build accessibility into it? This is all retro-fitting accessibility which is never a good approach in my books. So how do you get in front of the curve with all the different tools available to help the designers and developers to make the change? If we had the answer to the last question, then we would be out of a job. :)

[https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/m/en_us/signaturetool/images/banners/standard/08_standard_graphic.png]

Sean Murphy
ENGINEER.CUSTOMER SUPPORT
seanmmur@cisco.com<mailto:seanmmur@cisco.com>