Re: Assistive Technology Detection

Following up with Bob’s comment, the idea of an “alternative AT” version of a website or document has gotten a bad reputation for good reason.

I have seen several cases where the “accessible version” is missing tools or information that should be available to everyone. Whenever possible, some sort of universal design should be attempted.

Sighted users may also want to think about “mobile only” sites versus the “full site.” I myself have been frustrated when a site detects I’m on my iOS device and directs me to a site with fewer options limiting my ability to interact with the content versus the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 2:18 PM, accessys@smart.net wrote:
>

> counter to concept of accessibility, one should not need to identify
> and personally I would be ,opposed to it.
>
> Bob
>

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Patti Burke Lund wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 17:04:05 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Patti Burke Lund <pburkelund@yahoo.com>
>> To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
>> Subject: Assistive Technology Detection
>> Hello Everyone! I had a question come in today from a student. I'm hoping this group might be able to provide some insight...
>> Question:"I understand accessibility needs to be integrated into every aspect of your website. I was wondering if there is any way to detect whether a user is using support for their disability and then adjust your website to support them even more? Kind of similar to the way Responsive Web Design detects browser window size then adjusts accordingly?"
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Best,Patti
>> Patti Burke LundColorado State University | Journalism & Media Communicationpatricia.burke-lund@colostate.edu | pburkelund@yahoo.com | www.colostate.eduLinkedIn

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.