Re: responsive design and breakpoints and layout changes

On 04/01/2018 20:37, Michael A. Peters wrote:
[...]> In my own playing, it seems like what they are likely doing is
making
> their responsive design relative to max-width rather than max-device-width.

Note that device-width/device-height have been deprecated
https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries/#mf-deprecated

> It seems the former changes design relative to what CSS pixels are
> available to the viewport to avoid side-scrolling at all cost, while the
> latter sets the design to the device and if you zoom to the point where
> side-scrolling is necessary, that's your choice that you have a reason
> to do.

However, while you may prefer scrolling, there are other users who
prefer things to reflow/adapt to the available user agent viewport
width. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.

> Obviously I prefer needing to side scroll from time to time if it means
> I can adequately see the image, I don't want things like images to
> shrink just because I tried to make them bigger.

The shrinking here is not directly related to the fact that responsive
design was used, but rather to the particular style decisions the
authors made for things/images at smaller viewports.

> Is anyone working on guidelines for accessibility with respect to
> responsive design?

The proposed SC 1.4.10 Reflow from WCAG 2.1 probably covers at least
aspects of this.

Patrick H. Lauke