Re: Font accessibility

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 05:01:38 +0200, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Phill Jenkins composed on 2018-06-25 21:40 (UTC-0500):
>
>> Yes Felix, I was referring to "one size" metaphorically, not literally
>> "font size" in pixels or EM's, but that "one font style" that would not
>> fits everyone needs as discussed throughout the thread.
>
>> And, your example "zoom's" nicely in Chrome and Firefox to 200% so I can
>> view the page in the "size" that fits my need's best too.
>
> If you need to zoom, then something's wrong. :-p

True. But *what* is wrong turns out to be important.

> The foundational presumption is that personal computing device users
> personalize their devices,

> so that everything personalized that is not usurped by something else
> displays and works optimally.

The conclusion is correct, but we have learned that in practice the
foundational assumption is not.

Of the many reasons, a couple of very strong ones:
1. There are a lot of computing devices that are not personal but which
people are required to use. Content that might end up on one must provide
its own solution. People get used to that being the answer so expect it to
be that way.

2. People's visual needs change very dynamically. Time of day, ambient
light conditions (which can be related), fatigue levels, and the nature of
the task they are doing all impact how people trade off variations between
more screen space, more contrast, more content, and having to mess around
with their device instead of performing the task at hand.

Peronalisation of most devices is hard enough that in particular having to
mess with it to meet changing needs is something people avoid.

(As a random example I am typing this with a very white screen, because I
am in the dark and cannot see things cmpletely external to the computer
otherwise, and the most comfortable trade off wight now is to have my
screen "too bright". Other times I would avoid that, e.g. having it too
dark to preserve battery. Because reality is messy).

cheers

--
Chaals: Charles (McCathie) Nevile    find more at https://yandex.com
Using Opera's long-abandoned mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/