Re: Font accessibility

Hi All,
There is a great deal known about legibility of fonts. First and most
important is habit. Tinker the earliest researcher in legibility noted that
people performed best on fonts that were familiar. That was in his time,
and serif was perceived better. He also predicted that sans-serif could
replace serif given its increasing use. That being said, and the prevalence
of sans-serif on the web, I would guess that people perceive sans-serif
better these days.

Legibility is not a usability issue. It is a property of perception a
psychophysical and measurable quantity. Legibility is measured by reading
speed on text that is not challenging to comprehend. This test isolates all
but the perception of letters and words. There are many factors that
improve this perception. Letter spacing (until the integrity of words is
lost), and line spacing are well known entities.

Within the space of sans-serif certain conflict pairs are important. These
are pairs of letters and numbers that can be mistaken for each other. The
predominant pairs are, the lower case letter el (l), the upper case letter
I and the digit 1. Arial and Helvetica are terrible on this issue. The
letter O and the digit 0 get confused. The digit 5 and the letter S can be
confused. When picking a sans serif font check these first. Serif fonts
generally do not have this problem.

Arditi actually put serifs onto a sans-serif font and measured the
legibility. There was no difference.

Interchangeability: The width of fonts varies about 1 point for
non-decorative fonts. That is about 0.1em difference. I wrote a program
that measured this across all Google fonts. Times New Roman and Tahoma have
nearly identical space requirements. Verdana is an outlier. It requires 1.2
times the space of Times New Roman or Tahoma.

That is all I know.

Wayne