From: Emily Ogle <emily.ogle27@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 1:14 PM
To: Chaals Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru>
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: 508 Software Tester Software Coding Advice for Software Developers

I would get a lot of value from such a group. I’d be happy to share my own experiences so far.

On May 4, 2018, at 4:46 AM, Chaals Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru<mailto:chaals@yandex.ru>> wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2018 04:18:59 +0200, Katie Haritos-Shea <ryladog@gmail.com<mailto:ryladog@gmail.com>> wrote:
The requirements for software in Section 508 have requirements that are above and beyond WCAG 2.0.

Oh, true.

Specifically, there are additional requirements for authoring tools, browsers, OSs, and media players,

Hmm. Aside from OS requirements (I'm going to guess that in this case nobody was building one, but let's not forget that people are), those would be fair game for ATAG and UAAG techniques respectively.

There seems to be no group formally chartered to deal with those, but it would be fair game for work within this Interest Group.

Different levels of requirement based on who does it is a compliance issue, rather than an accessibility issue - as far as I can tell *any* accessibility issue that impacts stuff on the Web is reasonable for discussion in this group. I don't *know* of a better alternate forum for stuff that impacts software that is not web-related, nor do I know if it is a topic that this group would be OK hosting. Katie, do you have a chair's opinion on that?

At any rate, for the specific question the best approach might be to create a W3C community group - anyone can join that, and it offers the necessary tools. If that would be helpful, I am making a concrete offer to set up an open, collaborative workspace for collecting testing and implementation techniques related to software accessibility, where sharing work makes things easier in the long run.

Please note, for anyone who expects others to load it up with the answers they have developed so they don't have to, I can pretty much guarantee a high level of disappointment. Specifically, since I don't develop a lot of software, and don't have a lot of spare time, haven't worked on software required to comply with the refreshed 508, I don't currently have any particular content to contribute. And if nobody else does either, this will be a pretty empty and pointless effort.

Given 6 requests to do this, each accompanied by a commitment to provide *at minimum* 500 words on specific testing or implementation techniques, it's fairly trivial to set up (an hour or so). And given the commitments made good, I'll put in some work to organise a framework for actually collecting stuff, which is somewhat more complicated...

cheers

cheers

Chaals

and (what is defined as) applications, and it depends upon the location of the software (public facing, web-based, AOC, and non-web-based).