From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com]
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2017 1:47 PM
To: Bolena, Zachary
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Accessible Interactive Calendar recommendations

Hi,
Regarding the differences between standard elements like links or buttons versus gridcells, when I started building this back in 2012, the support for gridcells was extremely limited by screen readers, and due to differences in opinion about what a gridcell was meant to be used for it wasn’t a reliable option for conveying the purpose of the focusable element. Since that time support levels for interactive grids has improved, but I still haven’t found any combinations that work better than this one as yet equally across desktop and mobile platforms, so I’ve kept this design pattern as over the years with minor tweaks such as the addition of aria-current to indicate the set date.

As with many complex interactive widgets, there is always a bit of a learning curve when using them, but it helps to provide help information or to announce this when the widget opens as a means for the user to be clued into the primary functions of using the widget. In this case there is optional instructional text that is announced when the datepicker is first opened and focus is set to the first date, which announces the various keyboard navigation commands that are available for the user to use within the date picker. This is also announced every time a new month is loaded just to act as a reminder. This is when arrowing up and down within the individual dates to navigate by week, or by pressing PageUp or PageDown to navigate by month or Alt+PageUp or Alt+PageDown to navigate by year. This seemed to be the least intrusive method for doing this, such as would be the case if announcing the same thing every time the arrow keys are pressed, which would become somewhat annoying with repeated use. This implementation also includes logic to prevent keyboard guidance from being announced on touch screen devices, which would be confusing when it has no relevance. Also the message announcement is customizable within the setup script to support feedback in any language supported by screen readers.

It is often a big problem as you mentioned that many screen reader users don’t actually know what interactive ARIA widgets are meant to sound like, or even how to interact with them, which significantly muddies the waters when it comes down to identifying where programming bugs in interaction exist, versus support level issues for ARIA, versus differences in expected behaviors by assistive technology users, and where the lines exist between these differing perspectives. This same issue also makes it extremely difficult for most developers and accessibility testers to understand where these lines exist as well for the same reasons.

In an attempt to address this for developers and QA testers, I wrote the following blog post, which is meant to be a single page resource for easily accessing the most common types of testable ARIA widgets.
https://www.levelaccess.com/aria-widget-checklist-screen-reader-testing/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.levelaccess.com_aria-2Dwidget-2Dchecklist-2Dscreen-2Dreader-2Dtesting_&d=DwMGaQ&c=Ezx-H5PgBrUMEEvxgJuTQRYrd-4D8l8I18qkZZzJQbo&r=gfIcoH9AOzWzA6hyAsR7zIoc3exAOSNc5ep43e0oO18&m=aTPBqqiMeCWfHEq6-3E5QW1DReJZkxeGBh7UnpesSoU&s=nQQOpRME6P0qO0ZSKKZSdQCOzkGQSiN5sB01SGn0IS4&e=>

Which is also available as a redistributable PDF download from
http://whatsock.com/test/aria_checklist.pdf<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__whatsock.com_test_aria-5Fchecklist.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=Ezx-H5PgBrUMEEvxgJuTQRYrd-4D8l8I18qkZZzJQbo&r=gfIcoH9AOzWzA6hyAsR7zIoc3exAOSNc5ep43e0oO18&m=aTPBqqiMeCWfHEq6-3E5QW1DReJZkxeGBh7UnpesSoU&s=YYgKAmDQvqSV5b99Zz8-xldSvRiu8jUniVDt6KTgFyY&e=>

This may be helpful for standard users to get familiar with the same designs as well.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow