RE: Browser support with screen reader query

> 3. I understand the USA FCS law states browsers on mobile devices have to be accessible, should this be expanded to computers as they can now be used as communication devices? Would this change the landscape and give a assistive technology user the same expected experience across browsers assuming the assistive technology vendor have done their job?

The FCC did call out mobile browsers specifically for users who are blind or visually impaired.  However, more broadly speaking browsers when distributed with hardware are generally seen as providing access to advanced communication services and thus are generally seen as covered for all users with disabilities across a range of devices.  However, the CVAA functional requirements are very broad and allow for meeting the requirements with nominal cost AT.  So they don't require conformance with specific API implementations.  Functional standards in this case don't address specifically what must occur at that level.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
Jon.avila@levelaccess.com
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.