Re: Technical question about Javascript disabled option

Dear Giacomo,

On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 19:34:48 +0200, Giacomo Petri
<giacomopetri89@gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider the following scenarios:
>
> * javascript disabled -> blank page;
> * javascript disabled -> global elements (for example header and footer)
> and blank page content;
> * javascript disabled -> “Enable javascript to navigate this site” text;
>
> Which of them are accessible?

Good question...

[...snip...]

> From my personal considerations, at least a warning message should be
> implemented to alert the user >the page is not working without
> Javascript, so the first and the second options are not accessible, >the
> third is “enough” accessible.

Agreed, assuming that when JS is turned on the page actually is accessible.

> Returning to my question: in general is obviously a good practice make
> content available without >Javascript and provide “necessary”
> functionality also without Javascript, but, in an already >existing site
> where the effort to support it without Javascript is unmanageable, may
> the “Enable >Javascript to navigate the site” text solution considered a
> sufficient technique or not?

As Phill said, if you say that your site relies on Javascript it can still
conform to WCAG.

> Display a blank page without any error message is considered a WCAG
> failure?

I don't think there is any success criteria in WCAG that this would fail,
so strictly speaking I would answer no. But like you, I think it is a
clear accessibility failure. Given a mechanism to determine that a user
has not enabled a feature that a page needs in order to function, I think
the page should explain that to the user. This would fit under the
principle of Understandable, and even in the spirit of guideline 3.2
Predictable: Make Web pages appear and operate in predictable ways.

I'll check, and if there isn't one raise an issue on the Guidelines...

cheers

Chaals

--
Chaals is Charles McCathie Nevile