Re: Technical question about Javascript disabled option

From: Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 14:07:32 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Dear Giacomo,

On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 19:34:48 +0200, Giacomo Petri
<giacomopetri89@gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider the following scenarios:
> * javascript disabled -> blank page;
> * javascript disabled -> global elements (for example header and footer)
> and blank page content;
> * javascript disabled -> “Enable javascript to navigate this site” text;
> Which of them are accessible?
Good question...
> From my personal considerations, at least a warning message should be
> implemented to alert the user >the page is not working without
> Javascript, so the first and the second options are not accessible, >the
> third is “enough” accessible.

Agreed, assuming that when JS is turned on the page actually is accessible.

> Returning to my question: in general is obviously a good practice make
> content available without >Javascript and provide “necessary”
> functionality also without Javascript, but, in an already >existing site
> where the effort to support it without Javascript is unmanageable, may
> the “Enable >Javascript to navigate the site” text solution considered a
> sufficient technique or not?

As Phill said, if you say that your site relies on Javascript it can still
conform to WCAG.

> Display a blank page without any error message is considered a WCAG
> failure?

I don't think there is any success criteria in WCAG that this would fail,
so strictly speaking I would answer no. But like you, I think it is a
clear accessibility failure. Given a mechanism to determine that a user
has not enabled a feature that a page needs in order to function, I think
the page should explain that to the user. This would fit under the
principle of Understandable, and even in the spirit of guideline 3.2
Predictable: Make Web pages appear and operate in predictable ways.

I'll check, and if there isn't one raise an issue on the Guidelines...

Chaals is Charles McCathie Nevile
find more at http://yandex.com