From: Phill Jenkins [mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:36 PM
To: Giacomo Petri <giacomopetri89@gmail.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Technical question about JavaScript disabled option

The requirement is NOT whether to or not to use a technology such as JavaScript, CSS, etc. The requirement is to use the technology in an accessibility supported way.  WCAG doesn't require any specific technology to be used or turned on, that is the web site / application owner to claim which is accessibility supported.

In other words, in your case, if the technology is turned on, then does it meet all the success criteria?
If it is turned off does it meet all the success criteria?
I have not found anything in WCAG about turning on technology such as JavaScript to meet *some* success criteria, and then turning it off to meet *some* others.  It either meets all the success criteria to claim conformance or it doesn't.

Perhaps reviewing IBM guidance on "accessibility supported technologies only" will help.  See http://www-03.ibm.com/able/guidelines/ci162/accessibility_supported.html
___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com<mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/<https://www.linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/>
ibm.com/able<http://www.ibm.com/able>
facebook.com/IBMAccessibility<http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility>