Re: Color Contrast (Minimum) Level AA requirement for "Photography" image

I'm afraid this is absolutely not compliant, and simply increasing the
resolution will not make it comply. That gets around the issue of text in
images being difficult to read e.g. when magnified, which is not the
obvious problem here. Higher resolution has negligible impact on colour
contrast.

There are tools you could find that will show what the image looks like
for a user who needs high contrast - at a miniuim various browsers and
operating system settings let you test quickly by applying some high
contrast modes.

There are various techniques you could use to fix the problem. The most
straightforward one being to change the colours of the text, or of the
image - making the sea a deeper darker blue and the caption over it a
brighter white, making the sky a little paler and the text black or dark
brown, you might well get there.

If the text is presented with the image as a background, you might be able
to do more - I would suggest that you consider SVG, if your developers
have the skills, as a way to get closer to what you want.

If you can get it through the people who do the visual design, moving the
heading above the picture as a real heading - perhaps with a light colour
bleed from the picture, would both deal with the contrast issue and avoid
having text in a .jpg.

I think it is nowhere near as good, but you might also consider providing
an explicit high-contrast mode for your website, which would mean that
your "main" site doesn't comply but you can provide an accessible version.
Reasons I prefer to avoid that include the cost of maintenance and
likelihood that you will miss something as you introduce an accessibility
or similar feature to one version that needs to be working correctly in
the other, and because it tends to be a poor PR message to suggest that
you think people should be treated as "equal but different" when there is
no obvious necessity to do so.

cheers

Chaals

--