Re: ATAG testing

> On Sep 20, 2017, at 2:57 PM, Greg Gay <greggay@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 2017-09-20 1:45 PM, Mike Gifford wrote:
>> Greg, would love to have your feedback on CKEditor to see if it lives up to what you were working on TinyMCE.
> CKeditor has come a long way. I might even say they exceed TinyMCE a bit in terms of its accessibility support.

Neat.

> I took a quick scan. It works well with a keyboard, in fact much like TinyMCE does. That's good for those who happen to use both editors.  It's fairly easy to navigate around the UI, and between the editing area and the toolbar and status bar.

Happy to hear this. Discoverability is always a problem for CMS’s.  Documentation helps, but sometimes other prompts are needed.

> It too, seems to be missing prompts to warn authors where they may be introducing a barrier (like forgetting to add alt text)

We’ve fixed that in Drupal 8.  We’ve just configured the default install to prompt you for an alt text if you haven’t added one in.  Obviously there are going to be places where alt text isn’t useful, but you can override the requirement for those rare cases. The goal is to stop is to make it that much harder to do the wrong thing than it is to do the right thing.

> Like TinyMCE, their accessibility checker is an addon, though its free. I would be nice, for both editors, to include the accessibility checker by default.

The CKEditor add-on is built on an outdated accessibility tool - QuailJS - so it need to be rebuilt.  Here’s where we were discussing it:
 https://www.drupal.org/node/2731373

> I do like CKeditor's alt-0 for quick access to accessibility features. We'd originally embedded the descriptions of shortcuts into the UI of TinyMCE, but having them in a popup help doc I think now is a better approach, not having to listen to the keys announce everytime you access the editor.

Nice evaluation.  A great thing with Drupal 8 is that you can edit which buttons appear in CKEditor even if you are using a screen reader.

Still lots more that can be done.  CKEditor uses the old approach to managing table caption/summary elements:
 https://dev.ckeditor.com/ticket/12238

So in this way CKEditor fails a point in ATAG 2.0 as it isn’t following the proper HTML5 spec and there isn’t a means to update the old structure.

Mike
--
Mike Gifford, President, OpenConcept Consulting Inc.
Drupal 8 Core Accessibility Maintainer - https://drupal.org/user/27930

Open source web development for social change - http://openconcept.ca
Drupal Association Member | Acquia Partner | Certified B Corporation