RE: What exactly will trigger a screen reader buffer update?

From: Jan Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 21:57:51 +0200
To: "'WAI IG'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi Lars,

> However, as a screen reader user I do still encounter situations, in modern
> web applications, where I have to perform a manual update of the screen
> reader buffer. (“Ins” + “Esc” in Jaws)

OK, there are pages that take ages to load (or seem to go into an endless script loop) that will not be read in JAWS. JAWS will only read the page once the page is fully loaded, although everything might be visible on screen. In those cases JAWS+Esc will help.

I have talked to various people in the past about this problem, but I haven't heard of a different strategy to that problem, yet.

I am sure there are other people on the list that have encountered the same issue. Perhaps somebody else has a solution? I find it quite bothersome, too, but I probably press JAWS+Esc 20 times a day quite unconsciously.

Jan

--
Jan Hellbusch
Chemnitzer Str. 50, 44139 Dortmund