Re: pulldown issue questions (resend)

From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 07:06:27 -0800
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, Amanda Lacy <lacy925@gmail.com>
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
> On Feb 17, 2017, at 16:40, Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:
> Are you referring to a single click menu like the following?
> http://whatsock.com/tsg/Coding%20Arena/ARIA%20Menus/Vertical%20(Internal%20Content)/demo.htm

My current menu implements something like this, except that it only has one level.  I played
with this demo and was a bit confused by its behavior.  I applaud the fact that it is keyboard
accessible, but I didn't like the fact that I _had_ to use the keyboard to (for example) escape
from a sub-menu.  I am used to being able to navigate sub-menus using only the mouse.  Is there
some reason that this cannot be supported in this type of menu?

I was also perplexed by the fact that the page heading text "ARIA HORIZONTAL MENU ..." isn't
selectable (i.e., webkit-user-select is disabled).  Is there some accessibility-related reason
why this should be the case?

> http://whatsock.com/tsg/Coding%20Arena/ARIA%20Menus/Variation%20ARIA%20Tabs%20With%20Right%20Click/demo.htm
> http://whatsock.com/tsg/Coding%20Arena/ARIA%20Menus/Variation%20ARIA%20Tree%20With%20Right%20Click/demo.htm

In these demos, I'm not sure how the typical web user is supposed to know that right clicking is
_required_ to access the extra functionality.  I could put an explanation in a help page, but...

More generally, I guess I'm hoping for something like "unobtrusive accessibility".  ARIA attributes
and semantic HTML5 tags seem unobtrusive to me, but custom widgets that require right-clicking and/or
keyboard interaction (with no obvious way for the user to know this) do not.  Am I missing something?

> All of these differences are covered in the ARIA Menu Role Matrices table at
> http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/#menu

That's a nice resource; thanks!

-r

P.S.  I used Google Chrome Version 55.0.2883.95 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 to try out these demos.

 --
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation