From: Beranek, Nicholas [mailto:Nicholas.Beranek@capitalone.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:28 PM
To: Lisette Arocha (US - Advisory) <lisette.m.arocha@pwc.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Accessible styled form select

Ah, the infamous Combo box widget. It depends on how much work you want to put into it. The design pattern within the WAI-ARIA authoring practices can be found at the following link: https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria-practices/master/aria-practices-DeletedSectionsArchive.html#combobox

There is an open issue on Github for that pattern to revamp it at the following link: https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/issues/31

It is a complicated widget. I do recommend maintaining a native SELECT, but you can keep it hidden beneath a button. When the button is activated, we display the listbox within the SELECT menu. It allows for you to have that initial style you want, but gives you that default keyboard functionality that you’d otherwise need using JavaScript.

The following link is an example of the design pattern I just mentioned: http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/custom-select/

The only problem I can see with the combo box example is the fact that when you open the Listbox and then close it, the visual focus indicator doesn’t display even though <select> has focus. You would expect the indicator to show each time it receives focus.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Nick

Capital One